A good chili recipe is one of my favorite midweek meals. And this oh so comforting Chili Mac is not only quick and easy to make but it is also allergy friendly. While on the elimination diet for several months, I pretty much survived on this hearty pasta dish.
What makes this chili recipe so delicious? I think it’s the combination of Hunt’s tomatoes and the perfect combo of spices that does it.
Personally, I like to make mine with ground beef but ground turkey tastes just as good.
Need dairy or wheat free? Just use rice pasta (which I only ever use anyway) and skip the cheese topping or opt for a vegan blend.
This recipe makes enough for about 5 people. In my house that means leftovers. And Chili Mac leftovers taste even better than fresh Chili Mac!
Chili Recipe Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (to coat the pan)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb ground beef (or turkey or bison)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 15oz can Hunt’s tomatoes
- 15oz jar marinara sauce
- 8 oz macaroni (regular, gluten free or rice pasta)
- Optional: Red Kidney Beans or diced vegetables (I’ve add bell peppers before)
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Dice the onion. (See video below for the easiest way to get perfectly diced onions every time!)
- Place onion & garlic in the pan and saute until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add spices and cook for 1 minute, until aromatic.
- Add meat and cook until no longer pink, making sure to break up into crumb size pieces. Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add water, tomatoes and sauce. Then add pasta. Increase heat to high and bring to almost a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed and pasta is cooked.
- Scrape all the goodness from the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of pasta before serving.
If you’ve been searching for the perfect chili recipe you need to give this hearty chili mac a try. You’ll love it!