This all butter flaky pie crust recipe takes only 5 minutes to make and is perfect for your favorite pie filling.
I’m excited to be back with more from this year’s Seasonal Simplicity Series. Today, my friends and I are sh
Have last minute guests and want to impress? In the time it takes to run to the store, you can make this deliciously flaky pie crust!
See the photo above? Do you see all those flaky layers? I bet you didn’t think you could achieve that with a 5 minute pie dough! I promise this is a no-fail recipe, that even the worst home bakers will have success with!
What’s the secret to flaky pie crust?
The secret to flaky pie dough is to keep it chilled at all times. You need to work quickly, using very cold butter and ice water. If you ever think dough is getting to warm, just pop it into the freezer for 2-3 minutes to chill it right back down.
Fill it with my favorite 5 minute apple pie filling and bake the whole thing for 35 minutes and you’re all set!
*Posts on JennaKatetatHome.com may contain affiliate links. See full disclosure HERE*
Of course, you should choose whatever filling your heart desires, but if you’re looking to make a pretty darn delicious pie in as short a time possible, this is apple version is a great way to go!
By the way, this pie dough keeps well in the fridge or freezer so it’s a great make-ahead option, too!
All Butter Flaky Pie Crust
Flaky 5 Minute Pie Crust
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz (2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup ice water
Quick Apple Pie Filling
- 4 Granny Smith apples peeled and cored
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter diced
How to make flaky pie crust
- Mix together the flour, sugar and a teaspoon of salt.
- Dice two sticks (8 ounces or 1 cup) of very cold unsalted butter into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Using a knife or pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until it's the size of small peas. Stop once the majority of the butter is the correct size and avoid using your hands to break it in – you want to keep the butter as cold as possible.
- Start drizzling the ice water into the flour-butter mixture to create a dough. Pour in ¼ cup first and mix together with a rubber spatula. Add more water, a tablespoon at a time, until your dough just comes together. I usually need about a ½ cup in total.
- Once the dough starts to come together, use your hands to pull the dough together. Gently knead to form a ball.
- Divide the ball in two, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours (or put it in the freezer for 15 minutes) before rolling out.
Making The Quick Apple Pie Filling
- Dice the apples into small cubes
- Sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon. Mix in the butter.
- Roll out the pie crust dough, making sure to use plenty of flour on your surface to avoid sticking, Work quickly to keep the dough cold. If you're worried that it's not cold enough, place in the freezer for 2-3 mins to chill down again.
- Prick the bottom of the crust several times with a fork. Optional: fill with pie weights or dried beans and bake the bottom crust for 10 minutes.
- Fill the crust with the apple filling.
- Brush eggwash along the edges of the dough. Place the top crust on and seal the edges with a fork or by pinching the seams together. Trim excess with a knife.
- Wash the crust with remaining egg. Cut two slits in the top to allow venting.
- Place in the oven at 425 degrees F. After 15 minutes, reduce heat to 400F and bake for another 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Instant Pot Split Pea & Ham Soup at The Happy Housie // Chicken Tortellini with Pumpkin Alfredo at Grace In My Space // Tomato and Goat Cheese Dip at My Sweet Savannah // French Onion Soup in a Breadbowl at My UnCommon Slice of Suburbia // Chicken Lasagna Soup at The Handmade Home
Easy Overnight Breakfast Casserole at The Turquoise Home // Butternut Squash & Sundried Tomato Frittata at Cassie Bustamante // Pumpkin Spice Granola at Craftberry Bush // Saskatoon Berry Muffins at Love Create Celebrate // Quick Sugar Free Applesauce at Aratari at Home
Mason Jar Pumpkin Pies at Modern Glam // Easy Pumpkin Dip at She Gave it a Go // Fall Brioche at Inspiration for Moms // Baked Apple Cider Donuts at Paint Me Pink // Instant Pot Pumpkin Applesauce at Cherished Bliss
Pumpkin Spice Granola at Zevy Joy // Plum Frangipane Dessert at Satori Design for Living // Pumpkin Pie Cream Cheese Ball at Tatertots and Jello // Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles at The DIY Mommy // Apple Cannon Balls at In My Own Style
5 Minute Flaky Pie Crust at Jenna Kate at Home // Pumpkin Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze at Sincerely, Marie Designs // Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirl Brownies at A Pretty Life // Yummy S’Mores Cheese Ball at This is Our Bliss // Pecan Madeleines at Life is a Party