Are you looking for a fun, easy and inexpensive project? This DIY Gold Leaf Vase project is for you--- they are so simple to make and are a great craft to do with your kids. Grab terracotta planters and your favorite mini plants, and these adorable vases will be yours in no time!
Why Make A DIY Gold Leaf Vase?
For starters, you really can't mess up this DIY project! These little gold planters look best when you get to work without worrying that that they look perfect. Case in point: I didn't let the paint dry enough before adding the gold leaf and some of the navy blue paint pulled up revealing the terracotta underneath. It ended up looking better than I even imagined (if anyone asks, it was intentional)!
Another reason why these DIY gold leaf planters are a great project is because they are easily customizable. Between the choice of plants to use and the color paint you select, you can make the pots fit your style.
For my little pots, I used cheap terra-cotta pots and inserted my DIY Moss Balls in them. Of course, you can add any sort of plant to them - a little cactus, some succulents or a small flowering plant from your local nursery would all look adorable.
In regards to color choice, navy blue and gray is one of my favorite color combinations so that's what I picked for colors. That being said, there are so many fabulous color pairings out there for you to choose from.
What You'll Need:
- Terracotta Pots
- Paint (I used this in the color gray slate and my favorite Velvet Finishes paint)
- Paint Brush
- Therm O Web Deco Foil
- Deco Foil Liquid Adhesive
- Pick a terracotta pot in a size of your choosing.
2. Paint the pots whatever colors you like.
3. Apply liquid adhesive to the areas where you want the gold foil to adhere. I did little swirls, a stripe along the base, and a stripe across the top of another pot.
Let the adhesive dry until it turns COMPLETELY transparent. This is important. It will not work unless you let it reach this stage. I've found this can take up to 30 minutes depending on how thick you've applied it. A thin layer should take about 10 minutes.
4. Rub the deco foil onto the adhesive, GOLD SIDE UP. You may want to burnish it with an object like a credit card or pen. Usually a good rub with your fingers will do the trick just fine.
It's that simple! Four quick and easy steps and then you are finished! These mini gold leaf planters look fabulous and surely bright up my living room; you would never know how simple they are to make. Follow this tutorial and add some greenery in delightfully designed little pots to your home!