This easy homemade vegetable soup is one of the best veggie soup recipes I've ever tried. It's simple to make, makes for a great lunch and you can feel good knowing that it's really healthy, too.
The Best Vegetable Soup Recipe
The weather may be getting warmer, but this pregnant lady has been craving a taste of home. Specifically, Irish style Farmhouse Vegetable soup. Paired with freshly made Irish brown bread, this thick and creamy vegetable soup is not only delicious but healthy, too. Exactly what this soon-to-be mom of 3 needs to be eating!
While you may be more accustomed to eating chunky soups Stateside, in Ireland we favor lump-free soup that is thick, creamy and smooth. Kids generally like it better and so does bread, which readily sops up all the tasty goodness!
Other Irish Recipes You May Like
- Traditional Irish Scones
- Traditional Irish Brown Bread
- Traditional Irish Soda Bread
- Traditional Irish Stew With Beef & Lamb
Traditionally, this soup is made with potatoes, leeks, carrots and celery but sometimes I'll add other vegetables like parsnips and turnips if I happen to have them on hand. Even though it tastes creamy, apart from the butter used to cook the garlic and onions, it's dairy free. Substitute the butter for a vegan alternative, and you've got a delicious and easy to make vegan or vegetarian soup.
This recipe is very simple to make, which is one of my favorite things about it. I've been known to make it quickly in the morning so that I can have it for lunch. I'll put the rest into a large air-tight bowl and eat it for lunch the rest of the week, too. It's by far the best homemade vegetable soup recipe I've tried. And I've tried a lot of veggie soup recipes!
Irish Farmhouse Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 leek sliced
- 2 large potatoes chopped
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoons salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoons pepper to taste
- Place the butter in a large pot and place over a medium high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the garlic, onion, potato, and leek. Fry for 2 minutes until aromatic, then cover and sweat for 8 minutes.
- Add the stock, carrots, celery, lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender when you insert a fork.
- Season with a salt and pepper to taste
- Blitz with a food processor or a hand blender to get a thick, creamy and smooth soup.
- Serve with a dollop of fresh cream and a sprig of parsley. The soup tastes great accompanied with freshly baked Irish soda bread or Irish brown bread.