Are you looking for some new pillows to add a splash of color to a couch or a bedroom? With the repurposing of some old placemats this DIY project will give you new pillows in no time. If you don't have placemats already, you can find cheap ones of different colors and patterns at Home Goods or Target that fit with color scheme of your room.
This is my favorite type of project. It's truly "easy peasy," and it costs $0 because it's entirely made from items you already own!
My Inspiration for DIY Placemat Pillows
These Target placemats were in my kitchen before we renovated and I couldn't bear to throw them out... I loved the color and print! I knew they would make gorgeous pillows so I worked my magic on them!
Materials You'll Need
1. Two Place mats - My go-to spots are Target and HomeGoods. Just make sure whatever placemats you purchase have two layers of material, so that you can open them to create the "pocket" to add the stuffing.
2. An old pillow or bagged pillow batting for stuffing the pillows.
3. A needle and thread, for obvious reasons
4. And finally, no sew tape (e.g. stitch witchery).
Directions for DIY Placemat Pillows
1. Open one of the seams from the placemat. This only works when you have a lined placemat, but most of the fabric ones are lined. I just used scissors and kept close to the edge (it doesn't need to be absolutely perfect).
2. Tidy up the edge with some no-sew tape. Fold the edge over just a little bit and tape it down. This creates a pocket enclosure for your pillow insert and just like that your pillow cover is made!
3. Use old pillowcases to make pillow inserts. Cut one old pillowcase in two and hand sew the edges closed.
Again, it does not need to be perfect! No one will see the pillow insert anyway!
4. Pop the inserts into the pillowcases and you're done!
If you want to take this project one step further, you could easily add buttons or zippers.
These easy peasy placemat pillows brighten up my guest room quite nicely!
This DIY project is cost efficient (cost me zero dollars!) and super versatile. You can easily find placemats that work with the color scheme of your room. This project is also a perfect way to decorate your home for the holidays. Check out my 4th of July Placemat post for inspiration!