Did you know that those over-ripe bananas sitting on your counter are good for more than just banana bread? If like me, you want to indulge in a creamy frozen treat without all the guilt, then this 1 ingredient frozen banana ice cream is the perfect recipe for you.
Frozen Banana Ice Cream
There’s nothing better than ice cream in the summer right? And while there are better-for-you options out there now (dairy free, low sugar, etc.) the majority of them still contain added ingredients that I don’t want to be consuming or I don’t want my kids consuming – (I’m looking at you sugar alcohols!). This one-ingredient frozen banana ice cream is actually good for you since the only ingredient is bananas. But it’s so easy to make that I almost considered not posting about it!
Other Simple Summer Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Raspberry Lemonade Sorbet
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Homemade Margarita Mix
- Strawberry, Basil & Watermelon Salad
I discovered this recipe about 5 years ago and I’ve loved its simplicity ever since. PLUS, banana ice cream is not that easy to come by in the States (as least not in New England) and since it’s my favorite ice cream flavor, this really is a great recipe for me.
I promise you that once you make this you won’t miss the real stuff one bit. In fact, give it to your kids or partner and I guarantee they won’t realize it’s not real ice cream! Thanks to the high pectin content of bananas, this frozen treat is thick and creamy and perfectly sweet. You must use really REALLY ripe bananas, though. Not just with a little bit of black. I’ve made this many times and the best batches are always the ones where the banana peels were really black, a little stinky and verging on fruit fly territory. Just saying :-)
Anyway, here’s a little video that will hopefully get your tastebuds tingling and help give you a better sense of just how creamy this ice cream recipe actually is!
Frozen Banana Ice Cream Teaser Video
So, I say “recipe” but really if you can cut bananas and put them in a blender, you can make this banana ice cream. I have a Ninja blender that I love but a Vitamix or other high powered blender is perfect, too. You don’t need an ice-cream maker or any other fancy gadgets.
How to Make Frozen Banana Ice Cream
- Chop 4 -5 bananas into slices
- Place in a freezer bag or airtight container for a minimum of 2 hours (overnight is perfect).
- Once frozen, put them into the blender or small food processor.
- Pulse on medium until they get to a grainy, crumbly stage. Scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Continue pulsing until the bananas are thick and creamy.
- Pour the bananas back into your container and refreeze for another hour to two hours.
- Scoop into a bowl. Eat alone or with your favorite toppings. I personally love this “ice cream” with peanut butter and walnuts :-)
Frozen Banana Ice Cream Recipe
Frozen Banana Ice Cream
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 airtight container
- toppings (optional)
- Slice the bananas and place in an airtight container.
- Freeze for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Place the frozen bananas into a blender and blend until they start to become creamy. Scrape down the sides as necessary until the desired texture (think soft serve) is achieved.
- Using a spatula, transfer the ice cream back to the air tight container. Freeze again for at least another hour, until the ice cream is set.
- Serve as is or with toppings such as nuts, Nutella, peanut butter or chocolate chips.