These simple Halloween Ghost Cupcakes are a fun way to decorate cupcakes for Halloween. Whether you make your own cupcakes or use store-bought, these cute ghosts are sure to be a hit with both kids and adults.
Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
I'm continuing my All Hallows Eve week by sharing these adorable Halloween Ghost Cupcakes with you today. These are quite simple to make and the kids will love the end result.
I prefer to use my favorite Chocolate Cupcake recipe with a straight-forward buttercream but you can of course use a box mix if don't want the hassle of baking from scratch.
This post may contain affiliate links for your shopping convenience.
The "ghost" is made by piping in circular motions similar to a soft-serve ice-cream cone. Then candy eyes and a mouth are added. The mouth is actually just one of the candy eyes turned backwards so that no black shows :-)
I picked up the cupcake liners at HomeGoods but I've seen really nice ones at the dollar store, too.
These Halloween cupcakes are probably cuter than they are scary, but that's ok! Plus, they couldn't be easier to make! I bet even your kids (with a little practice) can pipe the ghosts on!
More Favorite Fall Recipes You Might Enjoy
Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
Ingredients for the Cupcake
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup buttermilk (120 ml)
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Buttercream
- 2 sticks of butter
- 16 ounces confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla essence
- candy eyes
How to Make the Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175 C. Line a cupcake tin. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a double boiler on the stove. This may be accomplished by putting a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water). Stir until smooth. Set aside to slightly cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until combined.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla together until smooth. Add the cooled butter/chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Add half of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk, alternating until everything has been incorporated. Stir until just combined; do not over mix.
- Divide the batter into the cupcake liners. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
How to Make the Vanilla Buttercream
- Beat together butter and vanilla.
- Slowly add confectioners sugar until desired thickness and sweetness is achieved.
- Place in a piping bag or freezer baggy with the edge snipped.
- Frost cooled cupcakes in a concentric circular motion. Add candy eyes and a mouth. Refridgerate to set.