Without a doubt, tassels are trendy right now. Jewelry, clothing, bags, you can find them everywhere! In this tutorial, I will show you how to make a tassel using embroidery thread. It's simple, easy and makes for an adorable accessory. Once I made my tassels, I used them to embellish a simple tote bag and bring it to the next level.
Easy DIY Tassel Made With Embroidery Thread
I first learned how to make a tassel using embroidery thread when I was 7 years old. I made them in art class - along with pom poms - and I remember thinking how amazingly straightforward and fun they were!
Using inexpensive embroidery thread that can be purchased in bulk, you can quickly whip up these tassels in mere minutes. Whether you're embellishing a bag, a scarf or even making earrings, the sky's the limit once you've learned how simple they are to make!
After all, if a 7 year old can make these tassels, you can too!
- Embroidery Thread. 1 skein per tassel (I bought these in bulk for cheap!)
- Canvas Tote
- Needle and thread
Instructions For Making your Embroidery Thread Tassels
- Place your skein of thread over a pencil.
- Unravel two lengths of the thread and wrap it under the thread, leaving a long tail.
- Pulling taught on the thread against the pencil, wrap the "tail" around the tassel to create a neck.
4. Run a scissors through the bottom loops and cut:
5. Using one of the cut threads, tie a double knot with the "tail" to secure the neck of the tassel:
6. Cut the ends of the tassel to give a cleaner, more uniform appearance.
Optional: run a pin or scissors through the threads to give the tassel more volume.
Once you have made however many tassels you want, just can stitch or hot glue them to the bottom of a canvas tote bag, or any other accessory or clothing item that's in need of a little jazzing up!
You are just 6 steps away from making your own fashionable accessory. Grab your embroidery thread and start making those tassels!