Irish potato and leek soup is a traditional country style soup that is delicious, creamy and healthy, too!
There's nothing better on a cold winter's day than digging into a warm bowl of freshly made soup. I grew up eating a variety of soups, including Irish Farmhouse Vegetable Soup, creamy tomato soup and this delicious Potato and Leek Soup. In fact, most weekend lunches consisted of soup and my mother's freshly made Irish brown bread. In my mind (and memory!) it really can't be topped.
American soups tend to be thick and chunky, while us Irish prefer pureed soups. If you're used to the former, don't be turned off by the thick pureed nature of this soup. Give it a shot! It's creamy and delicious - and not to mention, healthy! I like to make a big batch of it and eat it throughout the week for lunch.
If you've never had leeks before, they have a very mild onion flavor. The potato adds depth and starchy thickness to the soup, while the milk adds the perfect touch of creaminess. I use 2%, because that's what we have on hand, but you can use whatever you have.
The soup itself is very quick to make. Just melt the butter and oil in a pan, then sauteed the onions, leeks and potatoes until they are soft and browned. Add the stock and milk, boil and then allow to simmer until the vegetables are tender. Finally, puree the soup or use a fine mesh strainer to push the vegetables through.
I like to serve the potato and leek soup with a little more pepper sprinkled on top, and if I'm feeling fancy, some of the leftover greens from the leeks sautéed in butter and piled on top.
Quick, heart and so delicious! I can't wait for you to try it and tell me what you think!
Other Recipes You'll Like
Irish Potato and Leek Soup Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium leeks white part only, thinly sliced
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3¾ cups chicken stock
- 1¼ cups milk
- On medium heat, melt the butter with the oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven.
- Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Stir in the leeks and potatoes and cook, turning occasionally, until the potatoes are evenly browned.
- Add salt and pepper, then the stock and milk. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Puree the soup in a blender, or alternatively, pour the soup through a strainer into a bowl, using the back of a spoon to rub the vegetables through. Discard any remaining pulp.
- Return soup to the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve at once.