The holiday season is a busy (and sometimes stressful) time for all of us. There's so many parties to attend and host. These jam tarts were my favorite as a kid and they are still the perfect little dessert for easy holiday entertaining.
Using my super easy pie crust recipe - which only takes 5 minutes - I'm taking at least some stress out of holiday baking!
Using a store bought jam s as the filling for the tarts help make these quick to make and delicious to eat.
You can of course buy store bought crust, but the real thing only needs 3 ingredients and 5 minutes of your time. It all goes in a stand mixer or food processor so no major messes, either!
Then you don't need to worry about all those extra, unpronounceable ingredients!
Once the pastry is made and has been chilled for several hours, roll it out to about ¼ inch thickness. Create the tarts by forming the pastry around a cupcake tin or by using tart shells. Blind bake the pastry for 5 minutes.
To add a little holiday touch, I like to cut out stars with the leftover pastry and top each tart.
Finally, a quick coat of egg wash will ensure that you pastry bakes to a beautiful golden color. If you don't have an egg on hand, milk works too.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden. Let cool in the tins for 15 minutes before removing. The filling gets insanely hot!!
I think the star is a pretty festive touch but you could dust some confectioners sugar on top for a snowy effect too.
Or just enjoy them as is. These guys are deceivingly simple to make but oh so good in the taste department.
More Pastry Recipes You Might Enjoy
Jam Tarts + The Simplest Pie Crust
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks very cold butter
- ½ cup ice water
For the filling:
- jam strawberry or raspberry
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to a stand mixer with paddle attachment. Beat on low to combine. Add cold butter, beat until butter is the size of small peas with the flour mixture.
- This can also be done in a food processor.
- With the mixer on, slowly add the ice water until dough forms and is combined.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured countertop, kneading a couple times to combine. Divide dough in half, flatten slightly and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before using.
- When ready to use, roll out individual circles for each tart shell or push into a cupcake tray. Crimp edges as desired.
- Bake empty tarts for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Fill about ¾ with jam. Top with a star or other decoration.
- Glaze with egg wash.
- Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes until golden.