This Homemade Margarita Mix is a simple recipe to make from scratch and only needs four simple ingredients - limes, lemons, sugar and water. It's easy to make and really delicious!
Margarita Mix From Scratch
This past weekend was my husband's birthday. He's an easy-going guy and only asked for two things for his special day - a birthday cake (his favorite, a Victoria Sandwich Cake, the same one I make every year) and homemade shrimp tacos for dinner. Super easy. I figured while I was at it, I'd make his favorite drink - homemade margaritas. Instead of buying mix from the store (which has some pretty gross ingredients in it) I made a batch of my own margarita mix. It's so easy to make - you'll never buy the pre-made one again!
Ingredients For The Margarita
The margarita mix only requires four basic ingredients:
This homemade margarita does not require triple sec. Instead I use simple syrup which is a really great substitute. Simple syrup, by the way, is basically just a fancy term for sugar dissolved in water.
Making the Margarita
- Pour half a cup of water into a saucepan, turn it to medium heat and dissolve half a cup of sugar in it. Allow it to fully cool.
- Meanwhile, juice half a cup of limes (about 4 limes) and half a cup of lemons (about 2 lemons). You can also use all lemons for this recipe, but I really enjoy the extra flavor the lime provides.
- Pour all the ingredients into a bottle or mason jar and shake or stir to combine. Store in the fridge for up to a week.
- When you're ready to serve your margarita, simply add tequila to a salt-rimmed glass, and enjoy!
How to Add a Salt Rim to Your Glass
Don't forget to salt the rim! That's my husband's favorite part! Just add equal parts salt and sugar to a plate. Rub a lime around the rim of a margarita glass and dip in the salt mix. Cut a slice of lime, place on the side of the glass and pour in your chilled margarita mix and tequila.
I think our margaritas really were the cherry on the top of a wonderful birthday dinner for Brian! If you're a margarita fan, you're going to have to try this recipe. I know you'll love it!
Margarita Mix Recipe
Margarita Mix Recipe
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice approximately 4 limes
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice approximately 2 lemons
Make The Simple Syrup
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Over medium heat, allow to dissolve. Set aside to cool.
Juice The Fruit
- Juice the limes and lemons, making sure no flesh or seeds get through.
- Add the juice to the simple syrup. Store in a glass bottle in the fridge for up to two weeks.
When Ready To Serve
- Add tequila (and optional triple sec). Salt the rim of the glass before serving. Serve chilled.
- You can easily double or triple the recipe if you're making this margarita mix for a lot of people.