Craving a rich, decadent chocolate treat? These soft batch double chocolate cookies are gluten free, dairy free, Paleo friendly and contain no refined sugar – so not only will they satisfy your sweet tooth but they’ll also keep the guilt at bay and your waistline intact!
I eat pretty healthy most of the time and try to maintain a somewhat Paleo diet for the most part. Even when I’m not strictly eating Paleo, I really do try to minimize the amount of refined sugar I eat, as I find that that alone has the biggest impact on how I feel and look.
But approximately once a month (ahem, you know why) I get an insatiable craving for chocolate. I eat a square of dark chocolate most nights to keep cravings at bay but sometimes I girl needs something rich, gooey and decadent. When I’m feeling that way, instead of completely ruining my clean diet and gobbling up an entire packet of processed cookies, I pull out the mixing bowl and make these cookies.
Looking for More Cookie Recipes?
Not only does no chocolate craving stand a chance against these soft batch delights, but the good news is that they are flourless (grain free and gluten free!) and Paleo friendly. They are also dairy free as long as your use dairy-free chocolate chips.
If you worry giving your kids processed cookies or have kids with allergies, these are also a great cookie for that. Since my youngest son suffers from a milk protein allergy, these are an occasional treat that he’s actually able to eat.
This post may contain affiliate links for your shopping convenience.
It’s important to use a good quality cocoa powder when making these and one that doesn’t have any added sugar. I personally love to use this Organic Cacao powder which is less processed and better tasting than traditional baking cocoa powder.
So go on- – treat yourself this week. After all, these cookies almost count as healthy ;-)
Paleo Double Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup coconut oil solid
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cacoa powder or regular unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chunks or chips use dairy free if paleo. I used 55% dark
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix together the coconut oil and sugar until thoroughly combined. Add the egg and vanilla and stir until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cacao powder, baking soda and salt. Add to the wet mix and mix to combine. Then fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Using your hands, form balls from the dough. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until just set around the edges. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.