Are you ready for a taste of fall? These easy pumpkin spice donuts are deliciously moist with a wonderfully soft, cake-like texture. Filled with all your favorite fall spices and dusted with cinnamon sugar, they are the perfect autumn treat.
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts
I don't know about you, but I love anything pumpkin, especially in the fall! I also enjoy donuts pretty much any time. This easy baked pumpkin spice donut recipe fits the bill on both cravings!
Baked donuts are so simple—I don’t know why I didn’t embrace them sooner! I’ve been working on this pumpkin spice donut recipe for a few weeks and it has quickly turned into one of my all-time favorite dessert recipes.
These donuts (or doughnuts if we are using the correct spelling!) are not only super quick to make but they’re a great way to use canned pumpkin. I find these donuts are a fun twist on pumpkin spice flavors in a recipe other than pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread (and even my favorite less-traditional pumpkin recipe: whoopie pies).
All the Flavors of Fall in One Yummy Pumpkin Donut
So, no rule says you need to limit your use of pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree to just September, October, and November.
Honestly? I say you can enjoy a yummy donut any time. Sometimes I get nostalgic for the flavors of fall, and this treat is the perfect solution.
These baked donuts are so light and fluffy that it’s hard to stop at eating just one. The texture is perfect—cake-like with a tender crumb that melts in your mouth.
They’re great for a weekend breakfast, brunch, or anytime treat. These would be great served with a simple side of fruit salad, a glass of milk, or a scoop of ice cream. And because they are baked, they're healthier for you, too!
And while these pumpkin spice donuts are certainly delicious alone, when rolled in cinnamon sugar, they become next level!
You could also top them with your favorite powdered sugar, brown sugar, glaze (a chocolate glaze or a maple glaze would be particularly lovely), or dunk them in a warm beverage like cider, coffee, or hot chocolate.
What You Need to Make Pumpkin Spice Donuts
These donuts are super easy to make, but there are a couple of items you'll need if you want them to turn out Pinterest-perfect. The first item is a donut pan.
If you don’t own a donut pan already, I highly recommend purchasing one. Donut pans are inexpensive and so much fun. Once you start baking your own donuts, you’ll be addicted to making these scrumptious treats.
A donut pan is an excellent pan to own since you can make so many different types of donuts—even healthier options like these Paleo chocolate donuts that are another favorite of mine. Pretty much any cake recipe can be altered into donut form, so have fun with it!
If you’re anything like me, you probably stock up on a million cans of pumpkin puree once September hits.
Are there a few cans of pumpkin lingering in your pantry from the holidays? Do you keep pumpkin puree on hand just in case? Well, then you probably already have everything you need to make pumpkin spice donuts!
Storing Your Pumpkin Spice Donuts
These yummy donuts store well at room temperature and will be delicious for several days. One note, don’t wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or they will get soggy because of the addition of the vegetable oil.
If you plan to make a big batch ahead, I recommend making extra cinnamon sugar and dusting the donuts right before you eat them. Otherwise, the cinnamon sugar coating tends to sink into them and disappear.
You can, of course, do what I like to do and dust them when they are warm and again before serving—double the cinnamon sugar goodness!
No matter how you top, store, or enjoy these pumpkin spice donuts, I'm sure you will love them!
This recipe is simple, delicious, and so festive for fall. I can't wait to enjoy a donut or two and cozy up with a good book by the window. This pumpkin spice donut recipe is the perfect autumn treat!
Other Fall Recipes You'll Enjoy
Pumpkin Spice Donut Recipes
- 1 ½ cups canned pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground all spice or cloves
- 1 ¾ cups + 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1 cup granulated sugar or extra fine, depending on your preference
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease your donut pans.
- Beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, spices, and salt until smooth.
- Next, sift the flour and baking powder togetherand mix.
- Add the flour to the wet mixture, mixing on the lowest setting until just smooth. It’s important not to over-mix here, or you'll end up with tough donuts.
- Scoop the mixture into a piping bag. If you don't have a piping bag, spoon it into a large ziploc bag and snip one of the corners. Pipe the mixture into the donut pan, filling just barely to the top of each well.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While the donuts are baking, make the cinnamon sugar. Pour 1 cup of granulated (or extra fine) sugar into a bag. Add the cinnamon. Shake to combine.
- Remove the donuts from the oven. Allow the pumpkin spice donuts to cool for a couple of minutes in the donut pan and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dip each pumpkin spice donut in cinnamon sugar while still warm and serve immediately. Or store the donuts at room temperature and dip in the cinnamon sugar before serving.