These pumpkin whoopie pies with cream cheese filling are the best fall treat. They don't require a lot of ingredients, are simple to make and taste absolutely delicious. I bet they'll soon be your favorite, too!
Today, I'm indulging in my favorite fall treat - Pumpkin Whoopie Pies and I'm here to share the recipe with you. It took me a few months to get this recipe exactly the way I wanted it. The right balance of spices is the key here, but I know you're going to love the results.
I make several batches of these throughout the autumn season. Brian always requests them when we have people over and I'm happy to oblige. I'd much rather have people to share them with because otherwise I'd end up devouring the entire batch myself!
They have all the best flavors of fall - pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and even a little ginger. And when paired with the sweet cream cheese filling, they make the best fall dessert.
You probably have most of the fall ingredients in your pantry already, so why not whip up a batch this afternoon? I promise you won't be disappointed. Full of delicious fall spices - cinnamon, cloves and ginger, these pumpkin whoopie pies are a sensory delight.
Not only that but they are so moist thanks to the addition of both the pumpkin and oil. Your home will smell like fall heaven once the aroma starts drifting out of your oven!
Once all the ingredients have been mixed together, I like to pipe concentric circles to form my whoopie pies. I just pop a nozzle into a ziploc bag and hey-presto, instant piping bag!
Once they're baked, let them cool on a wire rack while you whip up the cream cheese filling.
Slather the frosting on on half of whoopie pies and try not the eat too much while you're at it!
You can stick with a regular cream cheese frosting recipe or add a dash of cinnamon or maple syrup. The maple syrup addition is real good, lemme tell ya.
Add another whoopie pie to the top of each to create a cream cheese frosting sandwich (!!) and you've got yourself a delicious pumpkin whoopie pie to take a big bite out of.
I've tried a lot of different pumpkin whoopie pie recipes and after a lot of trial and error, I can officially say that this is one is THE BEST. The whoopie pies are moist and have all the flavors of fall, while the cream cheese frosting is thick, sweet and creamy - the perfect textural complement to the cakey whoopie pies.
I'm constantly getting requests to bake these for friends and family, but lucky you - you've got the recipe so you can bake them yourself!
Other Fall Recipes
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling
For the Whoopie Pies
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 15 oz can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 stick butter unsalted
- 1 8oz package cream cheese softened
- 16 oz powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat together the sugars, oil and pumpkin.
- Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition, followed by the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Using a pastry bag with a round tip, or a big zip top plastic bag with one corner snipped, squeeze out concentric circles of batter, starting from the middle and working outward until the circles are about 2 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 11 minutes, then allow to cool on a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Beat together cream cheese and butter. Add powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Frost flat side of half the pies and top with another piece.