Making gingerbread hot chocolate from scratch is simple to do, and it's the perfect warm drink to get cozy with this Christmas.
My two favorite things during the holiday season are hot chocolate and gingerbread. There's nothing better than creamy, rich hot chocolate except maybe hot chocolate with the addition of warm gingerbread spices. Combining these two flavors results in a delicious drink that's perfect for Christmas and throughout the cold winter months.
Homemade Hot Chocolate
After a morning spent outside playing out in the snow, my kids love nothing more than to come inside to a hot mug of freshly made cocoa. There's good mixes to buy in stores, but making your own is so crazy easy and it's one less thing to have to store in the pantry!
The only caveat is to use good quality chocolate (I like Ghirardelli) and whole milk (or even half and half) to get it nice and creamy. You pretty much just throw everything into a pot and let it get hot, all the while whisking it. It's easier if you heat the milk first (so that the cocoa powder dissolves) but it's not necessary!
Toppings and Extras
When we are feeling extra fancy, we add cute little homemade gingerbread man mug toppers. Not only do they look cute but they taste delicious, too!
It goes without saying that marshmallow or whipped cream are always a good addition, too! Particularly when dusted with a little cinnamon!
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe as much as we do. It's the perfect treat to get you feeling all cozy and warm this Christmas!
Serve Immediately or Just Keep it Warm
You can also make this in a crockpot and keep it warm until you're ready to serve. Just give it a quick whisking beforehand to make sure the spices are fully incorporated.
Other Christmas Ideas You'll Like
- Hot Cocoa Bar For Christmas
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Secret Ingredient Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Hot Chocolate Dessert Charcuterie Board
Gingerbread Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (we use Hershey's special dark)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- In a large pot set to medium, heat the milk.
- Add the sugars, chocolate chips, cocoa power and spices. Whisk and continue to heat until the chocolate has melted and everything has combined.
- Serve immediately.