These easy pumpkin muffins are an essential fall treat. Made with applesauce and your favorite fall spices, they are a delicious fresh baked treat any time of day.
Once the cooler temperatures roll around, I'm all about baking loaves and loaves of pumpkin bread.
But cutting slices of pumpkin bread when my kids want a treat at school or to bring to a class party is pretty messy, so I've made my famous pumpkin bread recipe into muffins!
The upside is that they are more easily transportable, already portioned and cook quicker than a loaf of pumpkin bread so you'll have a freshly baked treat in your mouth in no time!
I used these pretty brown paper muffin cups that I picked up at HomeGoods but any muffin liners will work (or even a silicone muffin pan). This recipe makes approximately 24 - 28 muffins but you can half the recipe if you only want a dozen or so
How Long Do Pumpkin Muffins last?
Left covered, pumpkin muffins will keep at room temperature for about 4 days. They also freeze well so consider making the full batch and freezing half.
How to Make Pumpkin Muffins Healthier
This recipe originally called for a full cup of vegetable oil to give these pumpkin muffins their irresistible moistness. I don't love using all that oil in my recipes, though, so I substitute out half to ⅔ with applesauce. It doesn't alter the flavor, makes them healthier and they are still just as moist.
Easy Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- 15 ounce pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 3 ⅓ cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅔ cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Place paper baking cups into a cupcake or muffin pan. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Sift dry ingredients together into a large bowl and set aside.
- Add pumpkin, oil, applesauce and water to eggs.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into baking cups until ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Makes approximately 24 cupcake sized muffins or 16 - 18 regular sized muffins.